Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ranger Connie

This is so cool! I am a Park Ranger with the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, (CVNP). This will be my second home this summer. I am a TRT, that is, a Teacher-Ranger-Teacher. I applied and was accepted to train and work as a park ranger through the environmental education department and when school resumes in the fall I'll be able to teach and share with my building and community, what I learned and how they too can take advantage of an opportunity to learn and enjoy our national park.
Ranger Connie in her "green & grey."
So, it's been just over a week and getting more comfortable getting around "the Park."
Home base is the Cuyahoga Valley Environmental Educational Center, CVEEC. At the November Lodge is where the library/computer lab is located. Cool bulletin boards are up here. Reduce Run Off, Wetlands, National Parks, and my favorite- The Life of a Water Bottle. Campers and their counselors often use the Lodge through out the summer and do culminating projects that lead to informative and colorful bulletin boards.
Environmental Education Center (EEC),  Admin. Building

One of the cool bulletin boards at November Lodge

Other cool things: The Junior Ranger Handbook designed for those under thirteen, had several activities that could be adapted to fit older kids. I spent some time looking over the activities and brainstorming how I would modify the assignments for high school age campers.

The other TRT's and I, completed an all day welcome/orientation where we meet a number of CVNP staff from a variety of departments. I was also able to complete several online courses to help prepare me for my park ranger position. I'm in the "interpretation" division of the EEC, which is basically a fancy way of saying I "teach" young visitors about the Park.  They come as part of a summer camp or as part of a pre-registered familly group.

Even with all of the background information and the history of the NPS, there are still a lot of little details for the day-to-day activities I'll be responsible for. The radio and etiquette involved in using and speaking on it... well let's just say I'm glad I have In School Suspension experience that required me to use the radio to communicate with administrators, security, law enforcement, and other staff.
Radio charge&pick-up station
We prepare to use the radio to do radio check with dispatch before program outing, any emergency during a program, and a location wrap up/return to base. Sign out the radio. Note the property #, check channels and volume, Identify the number of the person you need to communicate with. Press & hold, say their number pause say mine plus my last name. And such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers