Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, (‘cuz it’s my blog and I’ll say what I want to, do what I want to… if you are old enough to substitute party for blog and you know the song melody---wow, welcome kindred spirit), I have a whole new respect for “full-time” blogger. How in the world do they do it???
Highlights @ St. Paul College Pasig

I think I’ve figured it out- have a wonderful meal and a couple glasses of wine, (minimum).
Highlights @ Benigno "Ninoy"Aquino H.S.
These last few days visiting the classrooms in the Philippines -inspirational, reinvigorating in fact. I feel so blessed to be in the education field. I’ve been reminded of the high esteem this chosen profession is held in. The men and women who do this service are dutiful, dedicated human beings who see a positive view of the world and want to do their part to make it a better place by influencing others , often younger than themselves. I know of no teacher who first said to themselves- “I’m goi ng to become a teacher and make it rain in the club!!!” No. Most begin with a noble cause and almost altruistic start to their career path. In the U.S. I’ve seen that light extinguished in so many educators, perhaps, self- included. However, I have been on an emotional, rational, spiritual, reflective, etc. journey here in the Philippines and I’m reminded of my calling to serve!! Cue Bible verse:
So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this m
ind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, Philippians 2:3-4

We’ve visited four schools now in the Philippines, Thursday will be five. Three in Manila-Makati area and two in Bacolod. It truly is a different culture than what I’ve experienced over the last ten years. Enthusiastic, energetic, friendly, kind and not at all “staged” but
Highlights @ Makati Science High School
genuine and warm. When meeting with the little ones on one of our school tours, they threw themselves all over my fellows and it was a precious site to see. Both my fellows and the children were delighted with the attention that loving and adoring nature that the children possess. Even as two brave little ones came to me, one said, “Your skin is so black, why is your hair like that? Look- my skin is white.” And another blurted in, “mine too, white.” I patiently replied to the innocent children, “My skin is brown- look this is black, (pointing to a part of a book bag laying nearby), and my hair is like this, because it’s my hair. I love my hair. It’s my hair.” For which the little one replied, “But, but why is your hair like that?” I suppose we cannot escape established racism and limited views on beauty any more than we could escape the warmth, kindness, sense of community that is natural to the Philippine culture. I must believe that, with these attributes truly in one’s heart, acceptance of others who are “different” will trump.
It may be the case that some schools have more resources than others whether they are public or private, some have a longer or shorter history, however, the dedication of the staff, students, and community is evident at every school we visit. The Philippines is in the midst of shifting their education to a K-12 program similar to what we have in the United States. It will be a huge undertaking, requiring additional teachers for 17 and 18 year olds who will
Some Highlights@San Agustin
need 11th and 12th grade courses. Some campuses have colleges on site and could have staff earn high school/secondary teaching credentials in order to stay on staff. Some will need more physical space to accommodate additional student body. Those students who are currently 13,14,15 will need to prepare to stay on in school for two additional years, unlike the student class just before them.










Odd Note: Yes I did…got myself locked inside the teacher’s lounge. I’ve had nightmares about this. But here in the Philippines- no biggie. I entered the lounge like I had earlier in the day. There were 3 or 4 teachers in there talking. I was in the bathroom area for awhile, (my bowels are still adjusting to Filipino food- TMI?), maybe 5-6 min. I hadn’t realized everyone left while I was in there. When I came out, the lights were out, the door was shut…actually locked from the inside.

There’s a glass panel so I could see out.  At first, I just stood there waiting for someone to walk by then I decided to get proactive and knocked on the door. Ten minutes may have passed, I’d pulled up a chair, got creative and decided to call the emergency numbers of my travel partner. No answer. I called a few other numbers and even got a ring but no response, ( I later found out she didn’t realize that was our TGC phone) and left one message. Eventually a school worker passed by..didn’t have a key, went to get help. The two of them came back, no key, went to get key and eventually I was sprung. I don’t know what the moral of this story is but it is not- avoid going to the bathroom. My bladder and bowels are working overtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers