Monday, July 7, 2014

Weekend Getaway

The weekend was going to start with a  4 am alarm but instead started with me getting up at 3:15 am in anticipation of doing the ZumRun, Zumba-Run-Zumba at CSA-B. This was one of the activities my host school has planned to raise funds in order to rebuild their fire ravaged gymnasium. 
Since I haven’t stuck to a regular running schedule, I decided to get warmed up with a mile run down the main street of Lacoson. I was surprised to see with all of the hustle and bustle of the night before that the streets were calm and quiet- sleeping, restlessly though. Even at 4 in the morning there were people I could spot catching a ride on a bike or walking along to their morning spot.
Eventually I did finish a warm up only to get to the school and find that the start time had been postponed 45 min. The good thing is, I got to see the courtyard area swell as students, families, runners, supporters, filled the area with each passing minute. I was a witness to the sense of community and bonding that an event like this has. The energy and excitement gradually increased. Lots of pictures were taken and this was a great Segway to begin the Zumba warm-up. I’ve taken Zumba classes before and I was happy to learn the new moves the instructors shared.
I’d originally decided to do the 1K because of our plans to hit the road at 4 am for our tour of the western coastline of Negros. There were runners who donated for 10K, 5K, 3K, and 1K. Even though time wouldn’t permit me to, as a half-marathon runner, even without training & diet considerations, I was tempted to do the 10K. As it turns out I ended up running over 2 miles- go figure…a few more pictures…then it was back to my hotel to shower, change, eat.
Scene around Sipalay
Once on the road, it was nap time. Occasionally I would bolt up and snap a few photos of local scenes passing by in the van and we even stopped a couple of places to snap photos. After about 4 hours and some dicey times during road construction, my group arrived in Sipalay ready for beach fun. We checked out a couple of high rated places and settled on Sipalay Suites. Three of us shared a room and the staff was so friendly and accommodating they even carried in a third bed!!!
The rainy season is definitely in effect and it basically rained out our beach weekend. We weren’t able to do most of the activities we planned but it was an adventure none the less. Seeing the beautiful coastline, going into a cave, and swimming on the beach. The coastline was winding and we would see trees, and mountainous views in one set and then sitting in construction along main street, have to stop for the ever wandering dog, then speeding along with abandon seeing rice fields on either side along with many basketball  hoops   ; 0.  
The cave excursion the visit was rainy, muddy and slippery. I fell on my but despite actually doing everything in my power not to…well I didn’t maintain three points of contact in some worn out Crocs, so that may have had something to do with it. It was steep, slick, dark& damp but our guide, (the guy across the street), helped me down while holding a portable light. In a hunched position I could see the water reach my calf level and as I looked around I could marvel at the stalactite formations. While I was ogling at the scenery and waiting for the others to come into the cave, I felt something bump my leg. The light wasn’t very bright but I could see a small turtle. It was obviously surprised to see me there and immediately scuttled off in the opposite direction. I tried to take a picture in the dark and later viewing the photos I don’t see a turtle, but what looks to be some paranormal activity in the cage. You can be the judge.

Just seeing yet another part of the country was impactful. I found myself comparing Manila, Makati, Bacolod, and Sipalay. Even though it rained during our trip to Sipalay, the coconut pie from Mila’s on the way back may have made it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers